Thursday, September 1, 2011

Friendship

John Galliano and Kate Moss
It may not be all that popular to write anything in much support of John Galliano, the sadly disgraced former Creative Director of Christian Dior.  Mr. Galliano was dismissed from the role at Dior after a videotape surfaced last February of him making drunken, nonsensical comments in support of Hitler while drinking alone at a Paris bar.  But I have friends who face similar demons, tortured pasts and substance abuse addictions, and I don't cut them out of my life - least of all when the demons show their faces on the faces of my friends.

Kate Moss, a longtime friend and collaborator of Galliano's, asked him to design her wedding dress, and I think it turned out beautifully, as garments made by Galliano usually do.  Kate has made no comment on the Galliano scandal that I know of, but we know that actions speak louder than words, and the above photo warms my heart at a moment when hope for my own troubled friend is a difficult thing to hold onto.

photo Mario Testino for Vogue

1 comment:

  1. I usually can't with Galliano, anti-Semitic tirade or not, but this wonderfully stated.

    ReplyDelete